Monday, April 13, 2009

Life as a piano teacher

Well, I have four weeks and counting of piano lesson left. One of those weeks I only teach on Monday, then it will be a break for the whole summer!!! This will be the first time in 7 years of teaching that I will have the whole summer off. Although, I won't really have it off, because I will be taking care of my precious little baby, due June 12th!

This semester has been one of the hardest, I think, of my career, and if other teachers are reading this, you would probably tell me that I have more to come. But I am partly blaming this on my being pregnant, and lacking part of my brain. It has been so hard keeping things straight! But I am not all to blame...

As a piano teacher I have been told that we have a lot to compete with...sports being the major one. And this semester I have found that true. I lost 3 students to sports, and the rest say they are too busy to practice most weeks. I find it hard to know what to do! I have tried all sorts of prizes, and am now doing fake money, that they can cash in for little treasures once a month. For some it is working, for others not so much. I am at a loss. Many tears have been shed, me feeling like a failure, and not sure how to change things so that kids are more interested. But then there are the few that make my job easy, and wonderful, and so on them, I will try to dwell. I am very thankful for my husband who lets me vent when I need to, encourages me all the time, and tells me what a good job I am doing. I am also greatful for the fellow teachers I have met that have helped me so much, and continue to do so. I pray that I will be able to remember the reason I do this...To bring others to Christ. When some students were dropping out, the mom wrote that her kids would remember me, and remember me praying with them before each lesson. I told Joel, that if that is all they remember, then I have succeeded, because yes, my goal is to teach them the fundamentals of music, but ultimately to show Christ to them. So I pray that God may give me ample opportunities to do this, and that my eyes would be open to see the opportunities. Thank you Lord for these 19 students!

No comments: